What started as a group of friends emailing at least weekly has turned into this blog. I guess we're ready to share our modest humor with the world! DAILY UPDATES, *HILARIOUS REVIEWS*, AI GOSSIP!! Be sure to pay attention to who's posting what--we have several contributors, read the comments, and CHECK OUR LINKS ON THE LEFT to not miss posts! We generally all "meet here" after the shows especially. WELCOME!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Week 1B - Seattle

They opened the show with segments seemingly with the intention of proving that Seattle is the national capital for talentless people who can't take no for an answer - even when it's yelled loudly by Simon.

Cocky, afroed Thomas apparently did some hard work over the last 3 years and did quite well with his audition. I'm not sure his style is broad enough to get through all the shows, but he'll be enjoyable to listen to while he's with us.

Blake is surely a talented beat-boxer, and could go a good distance with his regular singing. I expect to be entertained by this one, but I don't smell a winner.

Shyamali was worth a trip to Hollywood, but Simon's right about her being a bit underwhelming. Randy said it in a more constructive manner, though. I agreed that her brother, Sanjaya, has a better voice, more energy, and more potential to last.
I'll stick my neck out and say he's an early pick for the finals.

I honestly think Nicholas has a problem with his brain chemistry. His stilted speaking prior to the actual singing made it clear to me that he didn't have enough rhythm or awareness of how he sounds to carry a tune. I don't understand why they let him go on for so long, which probably gave him reason to believe he was doing well.

Rudolfo was excellent, which Paula clearly saw, thank God! Had it been Simon and Randy following his lead, with Paula absent, he probably wouldn't have gotten through. I really couldn't believe Randy even hesitated, apparently out of some influence Simon holds over him. Maybe that was a "Simon wannabe" moment. I expect him to make it to the top 24, at least.

There's simply nothing to say about Simon's insults toward Kenneth. Maybe he reacts that way to perceived delusional cockiness, which might explain why he was able to maintain civility with Jonathan, who followed. Or maybe he was just running low on meanness after blowing it all on Kenneth.

The Taylor Hicks wannabe? Not.

Anna Kearns has a good voice, but I'd like to hear something a little softer and more melodious before I give her a vote of confidence. I'm not sure what Simon was about to say, but maybe it had to do with her dancing, which, with her height, may be more of a distraction than an effective supplement. She's a bit gangly for most of the moves used by the average person.

Jordin Sparks - another 16 year old with the power of a much more mature singer. Awesome! Gave me chills, and has a perfect name for an American Idol. Definitely a finalist in the making. Simon apparently thought she was already under contract, the way he started giving her his best 'professional' advice.

Steven the Red is rumored to have stowed away on a departing Viking ship after the show...

See you next week!...

...John

2 comments:

  1. LOL on Steven the Red. How perfect! I think you're right on your various assessment regarding the "talent." It's always hard when they show us a few of the good ones and save a bunch for the Hollywood shows. More "shock and awe" tactics I guess.

    I think Simon dislikes cockiness with a passion. We've noticed he enjoys pure talent that doesn't realize itself. He can mold a talented individual with potential but little awareness. People who are cocky are a bit far gone. And people with little talent, but plenty of attitude and "confidence" drive Simon up a wall. He does seem to tame down his rudeness when people are genuine, talented or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! (I'm catching up). Jordin Sparks! I forgot to mention her!! Yes, she's great. And she DOES have a great name for AI--my thoughts exactly. LOVE the post!

    ReplyDelete