What started as a group of friends emailing at least weekly has turned into this blog. I guess we're ready to share our modest humor with the world! DAILY UPDATES, *HILARIOUS REVIEWS*, AI GOSSIP!! Be sure to pay attention to who's posting what--we have several contributors, read the comments, and CHECK OUR LINKS ON THE LEFT to not miss posts! We generally all "meet here" after the shows especially. WELCOME!

Monday, January 15, 2007

Introducing myself...

Before you begin reading my sometimes short and to the point reviews of the show, which I compose live while watching, you should probably know a little about me.

I'm an amateur composer and musician, myself, and you can listen to some of my music here:
http://music.download.com/everest/

I tend to believe I have a very good idea of what constitutes musical talent, since I play guitar, keyboards and flute, by ear. So, like Bo, I often disagree with Simon. However, since having reluctantly read Simon's book, I Don't Mean to Be Rude, But..., given to me by Bo, I now understand where he's coming from, and gotta give him props for his integrity.

Nonetheless, I listen for the ones that can move me, without making me hold my breath in fear that they'll be pitchy or forget the words. I care much less about how they look or what they wear than Simon or some other contributors here, and I tend not to defend my choices as passionately as some here. Last year I favored Katharine Mcphee through most of the finals, but I didn't yell and scream when she lost.

Aside from Simon's influence on the voting, which I often resent as much as Bo, I am disgusted with the idea of power-voting, and believe the contest would be much more exciting if each caller were allowed only one vote. It is for this reason that I've become more detached than I might otherwise be to the ultimate outcome. I simply refuse to get attached to an outcome that can be so profoundly impacted in a negative way by people who are out to screw up the results by voting for the worst candidates intentionally.

Nonetheless, I've never missed a show, and for the most part I love the way the show is produced. I absolutely love that a talented unknown can make it to the big time with a lot of commitment and hard work over a relatively short but hectic period of intense pressure - kind of like Superman making a diamond from a lump of coal...that always impressed me, too.

See you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Hi John! Great post!! John and I have worked together online for about 5 years. He's a great guy and great writer and it's fun to talk AI (and many other topics) with him!

    ReplyDelete