What started as a group of friends emailing at least weekly has turned into this blog. I guess we're ready to share our modest humor with the world! DAILY UPDATES, *HILARIOUS REVIEWS*, AI GOSSIP!! Be sure to pay attention to who's posting what--we have several contributors, read the comments, and CHECK OUR LINKS ON THE LEFT to not miss posts! We generally all "meet here" after the shows especially. WELCOME!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Minneapolis?

OK, so I'm NOT a Prince fan so I can say, "What the heck did they expect to find in Minneapolis?" !! I'm sure there's a reason WHY they've never been there... and it was proven to us tonight. Over 10,000 auditions, and only 17 went through to Hollywood. I'm always so curious about the others who did get the Golden Ticket -- you know, the ones WITHOUT the interesting back story? We only saw a handful of the golden ticket winners actually perform tonight. I don't think there was anyone humongously (yes, I made up my own adverb here) OUTSTANDING. I agree with John, Sara(h?) sounded mighty fine. She did have confidence and a great voice. Final 12 material? I don't know, we'll have to see what the next few weeks bring us.

I felt SO badly for the 16 year old kid who was there all alone. (yes, BO, he had a zit on his nose, but he's 16, what do you expect? I was politely not going to say anything about it. :P) He had an interesting voice, but I don't know if he's mature enough emotionally to handle it. I so hope he doesn't crack under the pressure.

Who else stood out? Denise (just cause her name is Denise, I'm sure)... I don't think she was outstanding. She has a great back story though, so hey, let's highlight her, right?

Shakira wannabe sounded SOOO much better when she wasn't trying to do Blondie... which judge said it? about the weird accent thing going on? Falsetto British with that Latin flair? GMAB !!! She's going to be this seasons annoying contestant we wish would go away... wanna bet?

OH, and Paula for her lack of contribution. What was up with her tonight? Fred says she was drunk. Allison said she must have tried some new medication. After seeing Bo's link to the clip of her interview, I'm leaning towards just plain whacked. She is SO out of it, I don't know what she was contributing in Minneapolis. She should have called in sick that day.

I actually, at first, thought we were going to see a kindlier, gentler Simon this season.. but he soon got back into form. And Randy, was just TOTALLY uncalled for with some of the contestants.

I actually appreciated Jewel's body language and her attitude of respect towards the contestants. She seemed to genuinely want to give each person the benefit of the doubt. She even tried to give a tad bit more constructive criticism than any of the other judges. AI should get rid of Paula and sign her, IMO.

All in all, it was exactly what we expected from the season premiere. Loads of crappy auditions and people you just want to shake and say "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?". I have to admit, I'm an audition-lover. It helps me feel comfortable in my own cowardice, because I can sit there smugly and be justified in NEVER, EVER taking the risk. But kudos to all those who auditioned.... ya gotta admit it takes guts.

5 comments:

  1. It does take guts to audition, but I feel sorry for kids whose parents fuel the fire and never give a dose of realism. I'm sure many of them are blinded with a parent's love and are sure everyone will love them "just like I do," but making A.I. your first audition is just crazy for some people.

    LOL on the Shakira wannabe. I could see her getting pretty annoying. But past seasons have shown that the featured people during auditions are often Hollywood losers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The zit isn't the issue. It's the make up! They put too much on his eyes and yet didn't use blemish stuff on his nose!!

    LOL! Love the post! And I agree about that Shakira girl (Perla?) being the "Brenna" of this season. Brenna, right? Wasn't that her name? The one that sounds like The Nanny?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting thought about replacing Paula with Jewel. I agree about her body language and respect, and caught her cringing a bit, though very subtly, when she got tired of Randy. They'll never give up the publicity Paula brings in though, will they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GAWD!!!!

    MN was sucktastic, it was so bad it wasn't as funny as it normally is. I swear they let the horrible people go on much longer then those with talent.

    That's one sure way to know you are going through, if you don't get through the first line of your song...Hollywood.

    The hard part of this show is that Simon is honestly providing a service these people desperately need. When we are children we receive negative response to poor actions. If we try to touch the hot stove, mommy gave you a little tap on the hand and said "NO" in a firm and clear voice, better moms added "HOT". This isn't torture, it's protective. It's making sure your children don't find themselves with a 3rd degree palm burn. Negative reinforcement is a good thing, some of these people desperately need it.

    Specific case, the young woman who sang the Jewel song. First of all, never audition by singing one of the judges own songs...it's just lame. Second, her family was well aware of how bad she sounds before she gets there, how do you not step in and say, "honey I love you and you are precious to me, but the reality is that you will never be a singer no matter how hard you try or want to be". As my delicate flower of a mother was fond of saying, "The world needs ditch diggers too".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ralph! SO SO SO glad to see you here, my friend! Ralph is yet another of my online colleagues from Google Answers! And he's freaking hilarious!

    ReplyDelete