What started as a group of friends emailing at least weekly has turned into this blog. I guess we're ready to share our modest humor with the world! DAILY UPDATES, *HILARIOUS REVIEWS*, AI GOSSIP!! Be sure to pay attention to who's posting what--we have several contributors, read the comments, and CHECK OUR LINKS ON THE LEFT to not miss posts! We generally all "meet here" after the shows especially. WELCOME!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Week 1A - Minneapolis

So you know, I'm in AZ, and the last on the board to see the show, so I make it a point not to read others' posts prior to writing my own, so as to remain uninfluenced and impartial.

It was nice to see Ryan Seacrest hosting once again, and all the old familiar faces judging, along with Jewel.

I see that 5 seasons has failed to educate contestants as to the futility of costumes, props, delusional thinking, and pity-seeking - that covers most of the losers tonight and every night of the auditions - but there's always a few that surprise you. 16 y/o crack baby (Tina?) (no - Bo says Denise) was the first. She's got a lot of work to do to get to the finals, but has fair potential.

The appeal for help for those who forget the words, with Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings in the background, was brilliant(!), but barely offset the suffering inherent in the torturous example which followed.

Perla is one of those with more attitude than talent, though she has enough for now. She promises to be very entertaining and, I'm guessing, controversial, before she loses.

The 'Reagan Idol' winner definitely had the advantage of having been pre-screened by his shipmates. He's a decent singer, but I don't get the feeling he'll be able to "bring it" when the time comes (watch me live to regret saying that).

Sly, manipulative Simon was pretty transparent when labelling Randy as "rude" when dressing down the vocal coach. Clearly he's anticipating being attacked for the same later in the season, and will use this to offset Randy's usual attempts to call him on it.

Young, blonde Michelle looks promising, and I can't add to what the judges said.

Matt Sato has the talent to potentially go a long way, but he'll have to work hard, and I'm wondering if this emotionally fragile fella can get past the hard-nosed negative feedback that awaits everyone on the path to winning this contest.

Rachel is appealing, and started well, but definitely went off-key fairly quickly. I have serious doubts she'll last, despite a lovely personality.

Sarah Krueger was the first to give me chills, which are very predictive in my scheme of things. Add to that her beauty and charisma, and I think she'll go all the way! Definitely my favorite so far! I would have been unable to interrupt her singing at the point the judges did, because I was in the middle of a delightful chill of thrilling energy. She's gonna make many of us tearful with joy at some point, methinks.

Josh Flom - before I hear the judges' comments - some potential as a unique rock voice, but that seems to be all he's got. Judges seem fair in giving him a second shot, and they're right in their assessment. He's so used to masking the untrained quaver of his natural voice with the gruffness, that he's lost the ability to sing normally. He would have been interesting to hear for a few more weeks, but his story wouldn't have had a happy ending.

Til next week...

...John

3 comments:

  1. John, I love your writing style! BTW, Robynne has moved to California, so she actually watches it after all of us!

    Sarah--your post is hilarious in light of me saying, "She is singing that EXACTLY like Katharine McPhee!" LOL! Of course you like her! ;)

    And poor Josh. Nice kid, but I think he REALLY thinks he sounds like Chris Daughtry! Ai ai ai . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. "She is singing that EXACTLY like Katharine McPhee!" LOL! I didn't know you'd said that, but, hey, I love a female singer who can move my spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I agree--you've already found a possible stand-in for Katharine. She was pretty good, though.

    And you are spot on about common themes in the losers, and what is sure to follow. They have another guy in an Apollo Creed outfit on the Seattle promo. There must have been a sale on "Ridiculous Outfits Needing to be Seen on A.I." wink, wink.

    I'm looking forward to hearing more from you this season.

    ReplyDelete