What started as a group of friends emailing at least weekly has turned into this blog. I guess we're ready to share our modest humor with the world! DAILY UPDATES, *HILARIOUS REVIEWS*, AI GOSSIP!! Be sure to pay attention to who's posting what--we have several contributors, read the comments, and CHECK OUR LINKS ON THE LEFT to not miss posts! We generally all "meet here" after the shows especially. WELCOME!

Monday, February 05, 2007

Bucky Covington Album Review

So, I'm not really a country fan, but I saw an ad for Bucky Covington's My Space site, so I checked it out. He's got clips from four songs on his debut album, coming out April 17. Like I said, I'm not the best judge of country music, but I thought Bucky sounded pretty good on the samples there. I can give a brief "review" based on what I heard there.

A Different World: This is a classic country "narrative," listing all of the things kids of the 70s went through (smoking and drinking mothers, lead-based paint on the cribs, daddy's belt, no video games, etc.), and how we all turned out "all right." Don't miss the references to prayer in the schools and the Pledge of Allegiance either. This single was released in mid-January, so some of you may have heard it already.

American Friday Night: This track has that definite southern/country rock vibe and praises all that is "All-American" on Fridays in the heartland: high school football, pretty girls, and great music. And there's a reference to that Pledge again. I actually think this one sounds pretty good.

I'm Good: Of the four samples on the site, I think I like this one best. Bad boy falls for the Deacon's daughter. He's diesel fuel. She's holy water. She doesn't like guys who drink, cuss, and chew. So the guy prays for a miracle.

"I know I ain't been livin' like I ought to.
Lord, I swear that she can make me want to."
And then he says he's glad God passed up the 4-wheeler and the bigger boat because
"Just give me this girl and I'm good."
Empty Handed: This song has a bit of a ZZ Top feel with Bucky's own style mixed in. It's another "narrative" about the guy on the fast track to hell regretting all his life's choices, and the small town beauty queen lost in the L.A. subculture, trying to make a name for herself. I think you'll find the theme to be a familiar one. Bucky's strengths definitely come through on this one.

Overall, what they've released sounds promising and I think Bucky's album should do well in the country world. They don't have an album cover released yet, but you can still pre-order the self-titled album Bucky at Amazon. Lyric Records is handling it, and this is the same label that produces Rascall Flatts, SheDaisy, and Josh Gracin, among others. Hopefully he'll meet with similar success.

Bucky fans of the world, check it out!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the great review. People who didn't really like Bucky on AI are being pleasantly surprised by his first release "A Different World". Bucky fans are anticipating a successful career in country music and are eagerly awaiting the release of his debut CD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great review. I love all 4 of those songs. Honestly, I can't pick which one I like the best. I am happy to see that others are now seeing in Bucky what his fans have seen all along. I have faith that Bucky is going to be a top contender on the Country Charts, before long. I have already reordered and waiting patiently. We are all so excited

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your honest review. It speaks volumes because you are "not really a country fan" but give Bucky kudos with a open mind and ear. We fans knew he there was something special about him and longed for the days he would "do it his way" and these songs are true Bucky style. I can only hope others that may not be country fans will give the songs a listen and give him the thumbs up and anxiously await April 17 for the CD release date. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been a country fan either but was impressed with Bucky on Idol. I love all 4 songs and may even start listening to country radio just to hear him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great review. As a Bucky fan from day one I am really thrilled at how his post AI career is going. He is doing the right things at the right pace.

    Now that he is free of the constraints that AI put on him he can record the type of music that is best suited for him. Like all Bucky fans I am anxiously awaiting the release of his debut album.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your kind review of Bucky's songs. It is nice to hear someone who wasn't necessarily a Bucky fan enjoy his music.

    ReplyDelete