What started as a group of friends emailing at least weekly has turned into this blog. I guess we're ready to share our modest humor with the world! DAILY UPDATES, *HILARIOUS REVIEWS*, AI GOSSIP!! Be sure to pay attention to who's posting what--we have several contributors, read the comments, and CHECK OUR LINKS ON THE LEFT to not miss posts! We generally all "meet here" after the shows especially. WELCOME!

Friday, January 26, 2007

Jon Peter Lewis Album Review

Any album that can make you think of The Cars, Billy Joel, The B52s, and Marvin Gaye is alright in my book. JPL does just this, while maintaining a distinct style that made him a favorite in A.I.'s third season. Overall I think he sounds a lot like John Mayer, which is a good thing, and his voice sounds just like it did on the competition with a little more "polishing." Here is a list of the songs on the album, along with my first impressions.

1. Boy Next Door: great track with some definite alternative undertone. The opening sounds a bit like U2, in my opinion.

2. Gypsy Queen: starts out riding "like Kerouac" and ends up serving lattes on Sunset to the "mentally challenged." Great lyrics.

3. What's Wrong: the opening drum riffs definitely remind me of bands like The Cars, and the rest of the song does not disappoint.

4. Man from Amsterdam: you can see some of his feelings about A.I. and Hollywood sneak through here. I love the guitar work reminiscent of the Red Hot Chili Peppers on "Under the Bridge."

5. If I Go Away: his vocals have a John Mayer feel here and reminds me of why he did so well on A.I.

6. Man Like Me: another great slow one from JPL, probably my favorite on the album.

7. Stories from Hollywood: the chorus on this one reminds me of mid-80s Billy Joel, and that's a good thing.

8. Rodeo: this one sounds like they recorded it live in JPL's garage, but it still has a professional sound to it (reminds me a bit of They Might Be Giants). The lyrics mention Laverne and Shirley, the Three Stooges (before Shemp), and the Lone Ranger. What else could you want?

9. Burning in Hello: it starts with some ZZ Top-ish guitar work and vocals, and keeps on driving ahead. Not one of my favorites on the album, but still very good.

10. Turn to Grey: this one has a great R&B feel (hence the Marvin Gaye reference earlier) and still maintains the style for which JPL is known.

11. Amanda Grace: Very folksy sounding and very good.

My personal favorites are "Boy Next Door," "Man Like Me," and "Amanda Grace." You can hear clips of some of his songs on his My Space page. And Amazon has clips of all the songs on the album. I listened before buying the CD and I knew we'd love it.

On his website JPL mentions how he wanted to distance himself from the heavily pop-influenced albums that A.I. contestants usually end up putting out, and stay closer to music with a rock and roll edge. He's done that and created a great album at the same time. The two years away from A.I. have been good for him, but he'll never erase the memories of those Ford commercials!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Great review! Yes, fantastic album. I agree! We're really enjoying listening to it and we keep nodding and smiling. We have always liked JPL.

    I remember him doing Elvis's "A Little Less Conversation" on the Wild Card show. Mark and I are watching the show and Kate wanders down and Mark takes her back up and JPL starts his performance. I flip out and go nuts yelling and laughing hysterically (never mind waking up the kids), "Mark! You've GOT to come see this!"

    Tidbit trivia: he's LDS. Remember the pencil salesman? That's him.

    He totally seems like the kind of guy you'd enjoy hanging out with.

    He strikes me as someone who *seems* quiet and laid back (and is in some ways), but with a definite wild side.

    He's good friends with the Jaded Journalist from the AI site.

    He plays guitar.

    Click on the link, go to Amazon, listen to the clips, order the album--you won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear about this guy! I definitely like 'Man Like Me'! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review of Jon's album. Overall, I am very much enjoying your blog. Have you listened to the live Fox & Friends version of "Man Like Me"? It's even better than the album version. The link to that video is at Jon's website, www.jplewismusic.com under the media-video section. Folks will find lots of other good things there too. I hope you don't mind that I'm quoting a bit of your blog on the forum there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for coming over here and posting. We're always happy to hear from anyone. I went to JPL's site and could not find the video. I did see a few other live performances posted and was quite impressed. I'd love to see the video you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry. I had thought it was clearly linked on the media page. But you can download the entire "Man Like Me" video and Jon's interview here: http://jplewismusic.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/46710222/m/7871021002.

    The audio quality got slightly fuzzy in the transfer, but it is still a wonderful performance. A shorter, but higher quality snippet of this "Fox & Friends" appearance is here, combined with some other recent broadcast video:
    http://jonpeterlewis.com/main/main_media_audio.htm. Click on "Broadcast performances." The "DVD previews" are also excellent.

    ReplyDelete