What started as a group of friends emailing at least weekly has turned into this blog. I guess we're ready to share our modest humor with the world! DAILY UPDATES, *HILARIOUS REVIEWS*, AI GOSSIP!! Be sure to pay attention to who's posting what--we have several contributors, read the comments, and CHECK OUR LINKS ON THE LEFT to not miss posts! We generally all "meet here" after the shows especially. WELCOME!

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Taylor Hicks Album Review

We heard good things about Taylor's album, and so we did the natural thing and bought the CD (well, we love music!). We first listened to it later in the evening while we were cleaning with the kids, but even after we lost the concentration necessary to really review this album, we could tell Taylor's offering is among the best of the Idol contestants up until now. You can tell he's been at this performing/recording thing for a while, and you know he figured out his way around the studio pretty quickly.

Before I get too far, the "Do I Make You Proud" / "Takin' It To The Streets"single is sold as a stand-alone CD, and neither song is on his debut album. But don't let that stop you! You can buy both!

The first time through, the tunes seem simple enough, but listening more closely I can tell they are anything but simplistic. And like good ol' Southern Comfort, the music goes down smoothly and gives a little kick (I hear that's how it feels, having never tried it myself!). All in all, from opening drum riff to closing gospel chorus, this is quintessential Taylor Hicks.

1. Runaround: This is a great opening track. It leads with a hard shuffle beat, brings in Taylor's vocals over the top, and quickly gives way to great brass licks and a gospel choir. It's a good one.

2. Dream Myself Awake: This track was written by Rob Thomas and has the kind of chords and lyrics that give it a modern feel, but with Taylor's comfortable vocals and the tune's Southern styling, you'd swear you've heard it somewhere before. And just when I was missing the brass, in comes the horn section with some Chicago-like riffs. Awesome!

3. Heaven Knows: This is a Ray Charles and Smokey Robinson tune with a funky intro. The background horns sound like classic Tower of Power, and you know Taylor was dancin' that microphone stand all around that cramped little studio booth.

4. Gonna Move: The intro to this track screams of Summer nights on a Birmingham porch, and the rest of the song keeps painting the picture from there. Taylor shows off his skills on the "harp," and any recording featuring a group called The Almost Exhausted Tabernacle Choir is aces in my book.

5. Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home): This is a Marvin Gaye song, but Taylor has definitely provided a new take on it. It has a fresh, almost 90s Sting-like quality to the background arrangement. Bonus: you get the classic, raspy vocals we're used to hearing from Taylor.

6. Give Me Tonight: This track gives off a definite funk vibe. It reminds me of the great funk/rock/soul type tunes of the 80s. At one point I was getting ready for Axel Foley to jump out and shove a banana in somebody's tailpipe. Wait! I'd swear some of these riffs are straight out of the soundtrack from "The Karate Kid." Great tune!

7. Just To Feel That Way: This next song has nice 12/8 rhythm that has become so popular lately. Taylor gets to show off his (not seen enough) softer side, but he maintains that typical edge to his vocals.

8. The Maze: This is another one of those "comfortable" rock tunes with a modern feel, but it's not the best on the album in my opinion. It is still a good song, though.

9. Places I've Been: Here is the requisite Diane Warren tune. I guess you need one like this since "Do I Make You Proud" is nowhere to be seen on the album. "Places I've Been" sounds like the American Idol, and if Taylor hadn't recorded it, someone from the show would have this year.

10. Soul Thing: This track is a Hicks original and is my favorite by far. I remember hearing it on his old website before we even knew he was in the Top 12. Somebody was circulating it well before the finals. It has a great feel, plenty of soul, a fantastic back beat, and a wonderful chorus. The lyrics and the style are definitely from the South, and Taylor sounds perfect on it.

11. The Deal: This one is also written by Mr. Hicks and is another great showing from the soul man. In the right style. Just right.

12. The Right Place: This final track is written by Bryan Adams and like so many of his songs, it is a great tune. We get to see the softer side of Taylor again, but he will still bring the Hicks intensity, especially at the end. "You've come to the right place, baby"

My favorite tracks on the album are "Soul Thing," "Gonna Move," and the rest of the album. Honestly, I can't pick just one third place.

I've gotta say of all the albums put out by American Idols, this is probably my favorite. Admittedly I haven't heard Carrie's (and heard great things about it), but I doubt seriously it would cast much of a shadow on Taylor's. Get it. Listen to it. And even if you are not a member of the Soul Patrol (I wasn't going to say it, but oh well!), you will love this album!

7 comments:

  1. 'Soul Thing' definitely sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great review!! I love how you explain every song and the clips are great, too. KUDOS on an excellent review! SOUL PATROL! SOUL PATROL! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Review, it's always good to see someone who really gets the Soulman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Review, I think you may change your mind on The Maze. I had the same feeling about The Maze but after I listen to it a couple of more times it is now one of my favorites and the way you discribed Dream Myself Awake is exactly the same way I felt, I would have sworn that I heard that song before. There are few albums that I listen to from beginning to end and this is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You so very much for the wonderful review, I love Taylors CD and listen to it everyday, but can not say which is my favorite, although I lean toward Runaround or Just to Feel That Way. You did a wonderful job of explaining all the songs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great album, and I can't get enough of hearing it.
    You feel like you've spent time with Taylor after listening to it. You can tell he wrote the verses to "Give Me Tonight" when he says, I've got my good shoes on, and I'm alright"! Sounds just like him. Sexy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This review is right on the money. I bought this CD the minute it hit the shelves and I've been listening to it almost everyday. How often can you play music everyday and not get sick of it after a short period of time? Not very often. Just like everyone else here, everyday I have a new favorite song on the CD. I can't remember, if ever, the last time I bought a CD and loved every single song on it.

    ReplyDelete