What started as a group of friends emailing at least weekly has turned into this blog. I guess we're ready to share our modest humor with the world! DAILY UPDATES, *HILARIOUS REVIEWS*, AI GOSSIP!! Be sure to pay attention to who's posting what--we have several contributors, read the comments, and CHECK OUR LINKS ON THE LEFT to not miss posts! We generally all "meet here" after the shows especially. WELCOME!

Friday, February 02, 2007

Idol Chatter from the Good Doctor, #3

I had some thoughts about what's coming up in Hollywood, and then realized that Rapine made very similar comments on Boquinha's L.A. post. It is in response to the question, "Where has all the talent gone?" Well, no one really asked me this question, but we've all alluded to the topic in our various audition recaps. I've come up with 5 conceivable reasons (I'm sure there are more) for withholding all of the talent in the first few weeks of American Idol.

1. Suspense. During the auditions, we have probably seen 2 or 3 of every 20 people to get through to Hollywood. And that's on a good week! I wouldn't say that I'm more excited for Hollywood than in past years, but my interest is definitely piqued about all this "mystery talent."

2. Quality. I don't really think this is the reason, but a thought occurred to me recently. What if the talent is starting to thin a touch, and we are actually seeing the best of the auditions. Again, I'm seriously doubtful about this, but I have been less than impressed with much of the talent that has gotten through so far.

3. Sentiment. Remember Melissa McGhee last year? Yeah, didn't think most of you would. She was the first of the Top 12 to go, after she rearranged Stevie Wonder's lyrics just a touch. It wouldn't have been so bad, except that in the video just before she sang, we see the Greatest Performer in the Known Universe (but not the nicest guy) tell a nervous Melissa, "Don't mess up my lyrics. No one changes my lyrics." Even this wouldn't have been her death kiss, but we knew almost nothing about her coming into the final 24 and Top 12. She was really good, and as far as talent goes, I can name at least 3 or 4 finalists that should have gone before her (think "Chicken Little"). But we already saw a lot of some of these people. Now, I'm not saying an extra video montage or a little familiarity with a sob story will make an American Idol, but I wonder how different things would have been for someone like Kellie Pickler if we hadn't been so familiar with her from the start. (Honestly, I don't think the producers care that much about their futures or how much we know them. They really just want the best story to create the best ratings.)

4. Whim. The producers just made it that way. It seemed like a good thing at the time.

5. Mockery. I've said it before and you know it's true. There are a lot of people who only want to see the bad auditions. Put more of them on, and more of these people will watch A.I. (and then keep watching House or whatever else is on after A.I.--we fast forward commercials). And maybe, just maybe some of these people will keep watching in Hollywood, and then the Top 24, and so on.

So, there are my Friday thoughts. It's unlikely I'll do any other productive thinking today, having sacrificed I.Q. points this week in the name of "entertainment." Sometimes I actually feel dumber after watching the audition shows. Thank goodness we all get on this blog and debrief afterwards!

1 comment:

  1. I can't...I won't...believe that there exists such a dearth of quality prospects that this is why the auditions have been reduced to such disastrous displays. I think #1 and #5 are more likely.

    ReplyDelete