What started as a group of friends emailing at least weekly has turned into this blog. I guess we're ready to share our modest humor with the world! DAILY UPDATES, *HILARIOUS REVIEWS*, AI GOSSIP!! Be sure to pay attention to who's posting what--we have several contributors, read the comments, and CHECK OUR LINKS ON THE LEFT to not miss posts! We generally all "meet here" after the shows especially. WELCOME!

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Top 20! - 10 Girls

Here we go...

Gina Glocksen - Started out kind of slow and mild, but built well, triggering some chills for me. Randy agrees. Again they're talking to her as the future idol with the fashion advice.


Alaina Alexander - Better than last week, and pretty well done, but I think she lacked the power and the focus for that song. I didn't hear the pitchiness Randy mentioned, but her body language detracted from the song rather than adding to it. I anticipate extensive finger-signal commentary from Bo... ; )

Lakisha Jones - Here's that less agressive song I wanted. I like it. I like how she can toss in tiny pitch slides in the right places. Well done, but no chills of greatness. Simon will tell us why.
He didn't like the less agressive style or her orangeness, and is polite in how he says so? Perhaps valium does work?

Melinda Doolittle - A more laid back song. Good. Chills almost from the start, especially when she does a glissando to some smokey bass. God she's good! A very tough song to master, and she nails it! And I love her eyes. Still my favorite of all, and I'm so happy to hear all the judges agree. Even Simon calls her incredible and fantastic. I'm a happy guy. For me, the competition is over, and the show now consists of getting to hear her right up to the end. Whether she wins or not, it will have been worth my time and attention. Everything else is just gravy, as my friend Erich used to say.

Antonella Barba - Since I liked her better than the judges and other contributors here last week, I'll be listening much more carefully. She seems in good spirits, with a good mindset. Good song choice for me to judge. Again, some pitchiness at the start. Again, some chills, but her voice clearly lacks the maturity and training for this contest. Again, Randy starts with her redeeming looks. Simon thinks she was worse than last week, and I'm inclined to agree. He also clarifies (again) that the judges discovered Jennifer Hudson even if, etc. The worst tonight, so far, and definitely much further down on my overall list.

Jordin Sparks - My AZ girl. I have great expectations. A little lacking in the lowest notes, but clear and clean, with good presence and connection. Once again she brings the chills with her ending. Not the best, but far from the worst. She could compete with Haley for the Disney princess position.

Stephanie Edwards - A good clean performance with a few bells and whistles. Professionally dressed and professionally sung. Very good, and much better than last week, but for me, she has yet to set off any fireworks. Still, she'll be around a long time, methinks.


Leslie Hunt - Can she deliver without flopping? Second line is out of tune, and the entire soft part has loose pitch. She gets a little better when she's belting. Her scatting sucked, and I think she lost something by trying not to move so much. Worse than Antonella, even. The judges were kind, I thought.

Haley Scarnato - Clearly tries to bring it with a 'nasty' song. It's technically not bad, and is better than last week, but I don't feel she connected with the song or the audience. At the least, she didn't connect with me. Not nearly as bad as Leslie or Antonella, but despite the technical proficiency, her overall performance is still right down there at the bottom with them, for me. I can't really explain it.

Sabrina Sloan - This one fell short of giving me the critical chills last week, despite a great performance...let's see if that changes. Ah, yes! Much better. Still some yelling/pushing the song and her voice, both of which suffered. Simon agrees about shouting vs power. I think she still needs to work to get anywhere near the top.

Tops: Melinda, Melinda, Melinda...oh, and Gina and Jordin.


Bottoms: Antonella, Leslie, and Haley.

Leaving to pursue a modeling career: Antonella, depending on how many teenagers are in love with her, of course.

That's all...

...John

3 comments:

  1. "Her scatting sucked, and I think she lost something by trying not to move so much."

    What a great observation! I love the post, John. You and I agree on a lot, it seems. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Dial Idol (not that it means anything, of course) has Antonella garnering enough support to be anywhere from 1st to 10th. How's that for exact!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, both Antonella and Sanjaya will be in the top 12, I'll bet...

    I loved your post John, you have such a great writing style and use of words (as opposed to my, "they were just great, yeah, great!) :)

    ReplyDelete