What started as a group of friends emailing at least weekly has turned into this blog. I guess we're ready to share our modest humor with the world! DAILY UPDATES, *HILARIOUS REVIEWS*, AI GOSSIP!! Be sure to pay attention to who's posting what--we have several contributors, read the comments, and CHECK OUR LINKS ON THE LEFT to not miss posts! We generally all "meet here" after the shows especially. WELCOME!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Top 10 Guys! - Classic 70s Theme

Michael Johns - Not so much, I think. His voice cracks in spots and it simply didn't impress me. Randy and Paula let it slide, but Simon is with me on this one.

Jason Castro - The opening is a bit weak, but it gets better. He certainly will appeal to the ladies, but the performance, for me, was just okay. Randy agrees. Paula, being female, responds to the sex appeal, and is more forgiving. Simon is detailed and precise. He also seems considerably less insulting than the last two weeks, so far. That's a welcome change.

Luke Menard - He is magnetic and strong from the start. The song is difficult, and perhaps not the best choice, though it does showcase his ability to handle it. Randy and Paula acknowledge this. Simon is a bit more critical but makes some relatively valid points about being compared with the original. I think he did a bit better than Simon believes.

Robbie Carrico - A little more wow than some of the others, but not enough for an Idol. Randy agrees, especially given that it's a rock song. Paula is vague and supportive. Simon gives it a thumbs up, though seems relatively unenthusiastic.

I'm just not seeing anything close to a star performance so far, and keep wishing I could be listening to the girls.

Danny Noriega - He tackles a BIG song - Long Ago And Far Away - He handles the low register opening fairly well, but doesn't kick it to high gear effectively at all. Add some minor pitchiness, and I didn't like it. Randy didn't feel it, either. He's riding on his looks and personality so far, to me, and that won't take him to the finals.

David Hernandez - Much better. Good song choice, good presence, good skillz. That's what I'm talking about. All the judges agree. My Idol for the night, so far.

Jason Yeager - I like how he personalizes the song, and I think he does a decent job, but it's a safe choice with a very limited range. I like his energy better than most tonight, but it wasn't the best song choice as a showcase. The judges essentially agree and Simon gets back in his comfort zone with an insult about the ending, which wasn't that bad, and was somewhat creative.

Chikezie - The song is totally unfamiliar to me, but it seems to offer a good showcase, and his voice and style are quite exciting. Number two for the night, so far, for me. The judges love it, too. Oooooh! He really lands one on Simon wearing the same clothes!

David Cook - He pretty much owns the stage with this performance. I could easily believe I was looking at the winner of AI. Randy believed him, too. Paula loved it. Simon cites a lack of charisma, and I can't disagree that the crossword-working "word nerd" segment didn't lend him any, but I'd rather he be honest than manipulative in letting us get to know him.

David Archuleta - Chills right from the start! I love this guy! He owns the song and does it better than the original. Beautiful and powerful. Definitely #1 for me, and the one to beat. The judges completely agree.


Top Dogs: David Archuleta, David Hernandez

In the Doghouse: Michael Johns, and one of the Jasons

2 comments:

  1. Your thoughts really mirrored mine as I watched. Half-way through I figured this was the AI reject show, but the second half was a bit more palatable. A few people will be skating through on prior performances, getting one more chance.

    And as for Chekezie's choice . . .

    "When you know my name is Elliott Yamin." C'mon, John. Don't make Bo go ballistic here!

    ReplyDelete