What started as a group of friends emailing at least weekly has turned into this blog. I guess we're ready to share our modest humor with the world! DAILY UPDATES, *HILARIOUS REVIEWS*, AI GOSSIP!! Be sure to pay attention to who's posting what--we have several contributors, read the comments, and CHECK OUR LINKS ON THE LEFT to not miss posts! We generally all "meet here" after the shows especially. WELCOME!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Top 3 - Judges' Choice


Jordin Sparks 1 - 'Wishing On A Star' - she starts out strong with a very solid performance. Simon picked the song but didn't like the jazzy arrangement.

Blake Lewis 1 - 'Roxanne' - his performance has power, style, and confidence, but I think this song offered a small canvas for his talents, with lots of repetition and a narrow range. Randy and Paula were able to ignore this, but Simon tells it like it is.

Melinda Doolittle 1 - 'I Believe In You And Me' - Melinda starts this out solid and staid, and then kicks it into high gear and gives me chills. Very good focus and connection with the audience. Randy chose it and loved it. Paula called it one of the best this season. Simon calls it her best in the last four weeks, and says the best of the night, so far. I agree, with Jordan and Blake trailing behind.


Jordin Sparks 2 - 'She Works Hard For The Money' - it feels like she owns this song and the stage from the first note. Excellent job. The judges agree.

Blake Lewis 2 - 'This Love' - a solid, hip performance with some beatbox added in just the right amount and place. Better than his first one, which Simon confirms.


Melinda Doolittle 2 - 'Nutbush City Limits' - a Tina Turner joint which Melinda takes to the mat. Very powerful, connected performance. The judges love it and Simon can't decide who wins this round, and calls it a tie. I'm inclined to agree - tough call!



Performers' Favorites:

Jordin Sparks 3 - 'I, Who Have Nothing' - I love this song, and Jordin nails it, bringing me close to tears, with a waterfall of chills. This performance may win the night for her. Purely excellent, and the best so far tonight, for me. Simon objects to the age of the song vs. that of the performer. That's his problem.

Blake Lewis 3 - I don't know the song. It's very contemporary, and he does quite well, with some good beatbox at the ending, but there were some very slightly off-notes, as on another song he did tonight, and I don't think this had the power and pizazz needed at this stage of the competition. The judges weren't wowed, but Simon praised him for originality and having fun.

Melinda Doolittle 3 - 'I'm A Woman' - more Tina Turner vamp on this one, and she does it very well. Simon praises her consistency over the long haul.

Tops and Bottoms - The girls clearly have this one wrapped up, for me, and I think Jordin's performance of 'I, Who Have Nothing' gives her a slight edge over Melinda's truly consistent excellence. Randy echoes this. Simon wants to see "my girl Melinda" in the final. Paula cops out.

Beatboxing elsewhere: Blake, but he's sure to go far.

See you tomorrow...

John

4 comments:

  1. Do you really think Blake is out? I mean, it is a possibility, but I don't know. I could see him edging out one of the girls, too??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The determining factor has to be which contestant's fans are the craziest and most dedicated dialers/texters. In the end it doesn't even matter who did the best last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I think they all have tons of fans. It'll come down to which ones are obsessed enough to keep dialing and texting for hours on end...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, you're all right, and it comes down to fanbase at this point, but I feel obligated to offer my opinion of what the outcome will be, based on my supposed ability to judge the pulse of the public.

    ReplyDelete