What started as a group of friends emailing at least weekly has turned into this blog. I guess we're ready to share our modest humor with the world! DAILY UPDATES, *HILARIOUS REVIEWS*, AI GOSSIP!! Be sure to pay attention to who's posting what--we have several contributors, read the comments, and CHECK OUR LINKS ON THE LEFT to not miss posts! We generally all "meet here" after the shows especially. WELCOME!

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Double the Disco

I forgot that Barry Gibbs has been involved with so many more songs than the ones from "Saturday Night Fever." Unfortunately, I don't think this ended up translating into a better set of performances than I expected.

RANDOM THOUGHTS: Are we sure Barry Gibbs actually sang that high, because his speaking voice wouldn't support that theory. This week is a "stick to the melody" week, as contrasted with past "way ta add ya own flava to the songs" weeks. Simon hates disco, just like he hates country. That's bad news for the contestants this week if you're keeping score at home. For a show they kept saying they had to rush through we sure saw a lot of Judge Judy, which makes sense since we have no interest in hearing what Simon has to say and would rather see a "judge" from a kangaroo court verbally spar with Simon. Melinda is the first contestant I've heard who pays attention to ominous lyrics. With as much as we all notice it, I'm sure others have, too. Do the judges want Jordin in the final 2? I think so.

MELINDA DOOLITTLE ("In-n-out Burger" and "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart"): So, Melinda is like Ruben--always good. The judges don't even know what to do because it's all nitpicking at this point. They are right that many performances on her "uncomfortable" weeks end up lacking "it" or "shazam" or "sanjaya" or something. The first performance was a bit better than a "background" performance, however. Song #2 was much better, and Barry astutely noted that Melinda was using a recent variation utilizing a bit more jazz chord voicing (Michael Buble did a cover of it recently) which ended up helping a lot. Melinda should be safe, but next week we need da noize and da funk.

BLAKE LEWIS ("You Should be Dancing" and "Exit Stage Left (Snagglepuss's Theme)" or where I came in or something): Overall this was a lackluster night for Blake by Idol standards. I do think, however, that his fans will be quite happy with his showing. He did a great job infusing his own style into it, and he did what his followers want to hear. I know Randy's endorsing a beatbox embargo this week, but Blake's interpretations were solid. Hey, Barry like them!

LAKISHA JONES ("Stayin' Alive" and "Run Away . . .er . . . to me"): I am so shocked Lakisha picked a power ballad for number 2, and even more shocked that she selected the most well-known Bee-Gees song. And I'm a bit more shocked that she disregarded the advice of an industry legend (whose songs she was singing) and ended up doing her own thing. OK, sarcasm off (but not entirely). I am so tired of her not implementing any advice the guest give her and then not sounding great. If you're going to ignore them, at least be great! If you try to follow the advice and it doesn't work I would have greater respect for the performance. Anyway, I'm bored with Lakisha and have been for ages.

JORDIN SPARKS ("To Love Somebody" and "Woman in Love"): Is she sending a message to someone. Sounds like Jordin has a crush. Number 1 was great, number 2 was OK, but not quite "pageanty" as Simon suggested. Jordin continues to work very hard and sounds great. Her voice sounds shot from what I can tell. I hope she doesn't end up straining that young voice too much before the finale. Other young singers have suffered similar fates. As long as her voice stays healthy Jordin should be a finale participant, in the good way.

Since a Top 3 would only overlap with my Bottom 3, and thus give away my Bottom 1, I'll rank them for me last night.

1. Jordin/Blake/Melinda
4. Lakisha

BOOGIES HOME WITHOUT ASKING FOR DIRECTIONS FIRST:
Lakisha

How's that? I'm looking forward to tonight's show, but only because Barry Gibbs is performing. You can decide if I'm still being sarcastic or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment